Andy Hall

Default New lock

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:41:25 -0000, "Angela" wrote:

I want to replace my front door lock (uPVC door) with a new lock that
has a turn knob for the inside rather than having to use the key to
lock it, and a normal key lock for the outside. It is a euro type
cylinder. I have looked in B&Q and couldn't see one like that. My
neighbour got a locksmith to do it and paid a fortune for the
privilege!! It is such a simple job I want to DIY................can
anyone suggest a supplier online. I have looked at
www.locksonline.com but because I need an 85cm long one (slightly
longer would be ok) I was wondering if there was anyone any
cheaper/better?

TIA

Angela

I was going to suggest Walters Group, since I've bought from them, but
then realised it's the same company.

Looking at their cylinder prices, there is a fair choice of products
and the prices look reasonable to me.

Two things. Check the dimensions very carefully. It is quite
common for the cam not to be central along the length of the barrel,
so that matters as well as overall 85mm length,

Secondly, the knob is not lockable, so if the door has a glass panel
you do have a potential security risk. On the other hand, if you are
concerned about quick exit in case of fire, then this may be
acceptable to you.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl