Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default OT'ish: Is anyone here knowledgeable about types of 2-stroke hover mowers?

wrote:
On 23/07/2020 16:26, newshound wrote:
On 23/07/2020 12:10,
wrote:
I'm looking for a good used 2-stroke hover mower to cope with a steep
grassed bank, but I can't find anything that lists and describes the
old Flymo models. The models that I've seen on fleabay are L38, L300
and L470, and I'm guessing that the "L" denotes 2-stroke and that the
number denotes cutting width. Are there any other models/manufacturers
I should be considering?

They used to be the main players for hover. The Tecumseh two stroke
engine is crude but bomb-proof, although it needs oil at 25:1.

More modern ones (also branded Huskvarna?) have Honda 4 stroke engines
which are much nicer, but cost an arm and a leg.

There seems to be a cheaper clone, branded Cobra, with B&S engines (I
guess from China).

The 4-stroke hover mowers seem to be for max slopes of 45 degrees,
whereas I've got a couple of slopes that are slightly more - hence the
hunt for a 2 stroke.

Some 4-stroke engines have no such limitation, I have a 4-stroke
strimmer which you can point in just about any direction except
totally inverted when the oil drowns the plug.

--
Chris Green
ยท