Default Running cables through stud walls

In uk.d-i-y, Paul paul at javajedi dot com wrote:

Now, where is that drum of CAT5e and my best swiss army knife saw blade...
plasterboard here we come ;-)

BUTCHER!! EEEVIL MAN!!! :-) I was going to add "or the saw blade on your
Swiss Army knife" to the list of plausible pb-sawing tools, but it seemed
like sacrilege; especially as I have in younger years used these for sawing
through fresh wood and found them suprisingly effective, so the idea of
blunting one to hell for a few linear inches of cut in plasterboard was
below my own level of tool-torture acceptability.

Still, if you hate your SwissArmy knife that much... As for where the drum
(or rather Non-Tangle [tee-em] box) of Cat5e's gone: it's still in the den
waiting for me to be arsed to take it back to the loft. And our resident
network geezer hasn't found his way back to work yet in the New Year (or
may be in the US for all I know), so still no Pentascanner loan for me :-(

From the experiences gathered thus far, it seems that nogginses - nassty,
sssneaky little nogginsses, what'sss it got between itss studsess, eh,
Preciousss? - seem to be common, but not universal; hence opining that
they were just one of the ways for Sod and Murphy to make their presence
felt on this job, but that a less expected bugger-factor might be their
preferred method of pain infliction instead...

Stefek