Harry K

Default Some joists on deck not resting on beams. Problem?

"Hovercrafters" wrote in message news:Gj9zc.40259$%i1.23416@edtnps89...
I built a 16x16 raised deck using 2x10 x 16' joists connected to the ledger
and running across two beams at about 7' and 15'. The beams are made of 3
(2x10 x 16') screwed together and rest on three 4x6 poles which are on top
of concrete piles. The deck is perfectly square and leveled with a slight
slope. Once I had it squared and completely framed I screwed the joists to
the beams. I noticed after that a lot of the joists aren't resting on the
beams. I can see the three screws that I toescrewed in at an angle. Some
of the joists are 1/8" above the beam. The deck feels really solid now and
I haven't put the decking on yet. Will the joists eventually settle onto
the beams? Could this cause any problems in years to come?

Thanks,
Brendin

No, it is unlikely IMO tthat they will settle down, your three screws
per joint will prevent it. How straight are your beams?? Did you
alternate the crown in the 2x10 beams before nailing? did you begin
nailing at one end straightening as you went or just lay them down and
start nailing? How straight and well cured were your deck joists?
Did you lay them all with crown up?

Those are all questions that could have been a cause of the problem.

Harry K