Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Connecting USB external hard drive to router

On 22/07/2020 11:51, Graeme wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes

I have a Zen supplied 7530 and a old 3.5 inch drive in a USB connected
caddy attached to the Fritzbox USB port. I have it set up as a NAS
drive but only use it for very intermittent saving of fairly
non-critical data. The hard disk caddy has its own power supply.Â* I
can see the disk in Win10 explorer as a network drive using SMB and
can transfer files to/from the disk from within Win10 explorer.

Thank you Alan, and everyone else who responded.Â* Brilliant.Â* Took a
while, but I'm there, initially accessing a USB stick plugged into the
Fritzbox, but now using a Toshiba 1TB external non SSD USB powered
drive.Â* The linked instructions were perfect, including the SMB1
protocol, although I could not map the drive via the Fritzbox interface,
so mapped through Explorer, which worked perfectly.

Running W10 32 bit on my Lenovo laptop, I see the drive attached to the
Fritzbox as a network drive and can view images and watch films.

If your box is set for an automatic update ver 7.2. was issued in the
past few hours and it may update soon, or else a manual update

It supports a newer version of SMB so as per a previous post in this
thread if SMB1 is insecure you could turn it off on your PC and use the
later version which is already installed on your computer

Ver 7.2 for the 7530

faster FRITZ!NAS (\fritz.nas) with new SMB version

more Wi-Fi security thanks to new WPA3 encryption

public Wi-Fi for guests with encrypted data (OWE)

better Wi-Fi performance with mesh steering and mesh autochanel

convenient enabling and disabling of internet access for specific devices

secure telephony with German Telekom due to encrypted voice

more comfort for your online contacts, answering machine and fax
smart telephone book shows matching entries while dialing on FRITZ!Fon