Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost to replace a TV aerial

On 22/07/2020 11:20, Grumps wrote:
On 22/07/2020 09:00, Grumps wrote:
On 21/07/2020 22:28, Grumps wrote:
No, more accurately exchanging the old TV aerial for a radio antenna.
We have another TV aerial on the other end of the house.

What can you get on radio that you cannot get on the internet?

There is an inherent challenge in amateur radio that you simply do
not get when things are laid out for everyone to use.

You're on a DIY newsgroup (allegedly) where tackling problems is the
challenging, educating and fulfilling part.

All true, but what is the answer to my question?

Not sure of your angle. Are you intrigued by amateur radio and
considering it as a hobby?

Not these days, but yes I do, but my point was that the text of the OP
implied he was replacing his TV aerial with presumably a VHF one. No
mention was made of 'non broadcast' type VHF/UHF stuff and its doubtful
whether the average aerial erector has te wit to install it correctly
anyway.

So my question was in te context of 'what cant you get on the internet
that you can get with a directional VHF/UHF yagi?

Not 'with a 500 tard piece iof wire and a tower and a ground plane'

I'm pretty sure my neighbour's baby monitor isn't on the internet.

I'm pretty sure these days it probably is, but who wants to listen to it?

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that