Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default O/T: internet security question (leaked details)

On 21/07/2020 18:46, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:15:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 20/07/2020 12:59, Scott wrote:
On 20 Jul 2020 12:35:40 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

Scott wrote:
It is not a con. It is not a "subscription".

Sorry, I read Step 3 ouot of context when it said 'Subscribe to
notifications for any other breaches. Then just change that unique
password'. It's a 30 day free trial then a subscription.
out of context
That's an ad for 1Password, which is a password manager. Have I Been Pwned
is a separate thing and has a 'notify me' function which will mail you if
your email or domain shows up in other breaches. It's free, and the link is
at the top of the screen.

Okay, it's an attempt to con then, not a con. It is quite clear they
are trying to induce you into clicking 'Start using 1Password.com'.

Perhaps you had better check how ad networks serve content...

I don't really see any need. As soon as I see the word 'subscribe' or
anyone asks for money I'm out.

Even when its in an add that is not selected by the site that hosts it,
for a service not even sold by the site?

--
Cheers,

John.