Posted to uk.d-i-y
%%[_2_] %%[_2_] is offline

Default O/T: internet security question (leaked details)

"Chris Green" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/07/2020 07:15, %% wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Pamela wrote:
On 12:00 20 Jul 2020, Smolley said:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:04:58 +0100, Pamela wrote:

On 08:21 20 Jul 2020, Brian Gaff (Sofa) said:

They are always telling us that we should use a password manager
of
cours. However there is no 100 percent secure system if as has
been
mentioned servers with customer data can be just sold to any tom
dick
or Serge.

Judging by the OP's habit of reusing the same password, I wonder
if he
also used it for his password manager allowing hackers to scoop up
any
passwords which are different.

It's crazy to re-use a password for a site like Amazon where the
financial loss could become substantial.

Amazon uses my mac address as verification, when I use another
computer I
have to return a phone code.

MAC address or cookie?

I use two factor authentication (using the Authy app) for Amazon, who
provides an option for a particular computer to be remembered as safe
and not
require signing in subsequently.

So if someone nicks your computer they get access?!

Thats why I do that stuff on the iphone with fingerprint or
facial recognition, nicking it doesnt allow anyone to use it.

I do nothing important on my mobile. I don't even bother to lock it.
If someone were to steal it I would change my passwords for email and
linux logins more or less instantly. I think that would solve 97% of
what is stored on it.

Exactly! :-) Much easier to use to make phone calls (which
is what I use mine for, strangely) if there's no lock at all on it.

Thats wrong when the unlock is as trivial as putting your finger
on the fingerprint sensor or letting it see your face with instant
recognition of either one. Or getting even more radical and
telling the phone who to call and having it do that.

It's a pay-as-you-go phone so there's only maximum
of £10 or so of credit for someone to 'steal'.

But it makes more sense to do the stuff like net banking
on the phone which has much better and much easier
to use security using the fingerprint or facial recognition.