Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Deaths due to Lockdown

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 13:01:32 UTC+1, Pancho wrote:
In article ,
Pancho wrote:

I still don't know what is and isn't necessary.

Perhaps if you told us what we need to do, things would be clearer.

Just ignore it and it will go away seems to be the right wing view.

I wasn't claiming to have an answer, I'm still very much in two minds. I
was just curious as to what Tabbypurr's answer was. I was curious as to
what probabilities Tabbypurr was referring to.

I follow the subject, I don't lead it so have nothing new to tell anyone. The way forward is surely to look at the research, assess how likely its conclusions are and follow what is most likely, subject to fairly assessing the benefits & downsides of each approach.

Governments aren't used to doing that & are clearly far from able or comfortable with it.

As one example, there is evidence that vitamin D deficiency may have a major effect on Covid survival. It's not conclusive, it's not even 75% but it's, in my own estimate, over 50% likely. Vitamin D is cheap & safe in the extreme, thus it makes sense for the NHS to give it to anyone admitted to hospital with possible COVID. But they don't. It also makes sense for the government to publicly state that there is some evidence, albeit no proof, that taking it may improve survival rate, and that it's worth taking. They don't..

There's also weaker evidence that other nutrients may make a difference. Again multivitamins are dirt cheap, supersafe and have side-benefits. It's silly to not take them.

Which of course it will - eventually. But if it wipes out all your family
in the process, you might have preferred a better way?

This is silly hyperbole

Dave usually is.

NT