Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 11:39:07 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/20/2020 11:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

He did use a self piercing fitting.Â* He also had three cans of R134. Fix
the leak?Â* Nah just keep adding.Â* Gauges?Â* Nah, when it get cold you are
good.Â* Well, maybe.
The equipment he had put together was probably with a few bucks shy of
just buying a new unit.Â* What could go wrong?

He showed exactly where he fixed the leak. With solder.

The leak was fixed, Then he added the number of ounces of refrigent
that was listed on the lable. Only thing I see he missed was the oil of
r22 is not compatiable with 134a and can cause problems down the line.

When he soldered he also added contamination. Depending how mich there
may be no effect or it will crap out in hours. When I ran the department
building AC coils we ran nitrogen through them while brazing.

I didn't watch the video, but if he soldered, that's lower temperature than
brazing, so the need for nitrogen to avoid oxidation gunk is lower.
There is a higher content solder
with more silver in it that behaves similar to solder but is stronger. The
company that makes it has videos showing that under pressure, joints that
are brazed fail before the ones using their solder. Apparently the brazing
heat weakens the copper next to the joint.