Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default O/T: internet security question (leaked details)

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 11:28:00 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

I mean, another thing to look at is wifi password. Now if its too
hard, nobody can remember it, if its too simply people can guess it,
and of courrse many devices that use a cloud storage system
actually store it,
supposedly encrypted.

A decent password ought not be "memorable". If you need it, go look at
the written record of it (the plate on the back of the router if you
like), or use the WPS button for creating new connections.

Surely a decent password *has* to be memorable because otherwise you
have to have a written copy somewhere that someone else can find.

Unless you have a memorable *algorithm* to generate a password for a
given site ? Even it it's just "ROT13 the URL"

That's what I do for relatively insecure/unimportant passwords (not
ROT13, but a 'algorithm' that allows me to derive the password from
the web site name).

--
Chris Green
ยท