Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 2008 Lexus Rx 350 rack and pinion steering boot

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 21 Jul 2020 06:18:38 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?client...ck+pinion+boot
Here's more on the topic. If you're lucky, there's some discussion too.
'
They make boots for CV joings that go on without removing anything,
also. I did that once, myself. I didn't do a great job but they are
fillled with grease.

I've never attempted to use one, for that reason. I wouldn't trust a split
boot that glues together and doubt it will last very long. Especially for
a rack boot, where doing it the right way is much less involved than doing
a CV boot.

It lasted long enough but it was messy, and I was worried that too much
grease got out and not enough remained. But I don't think that
happened. Now I might just replace a half-axle, which I did once
after a collision with a curb.

I dont' think a steering boot is filled with
grease, is it? If not, it should be much easier. It's just to keep
stones from hitting the polished rod? So it doesn't have to hold in
the grease, right????

That's right, it's just to keep dirt out.