Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting USB external hard drive to router

On 21/07/2020 13:08, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 20/07/2020 18:52, Graeme wrote:
My router, supplied by Zen, is a Fritzbox 7530 and, looking at the
manual, appears to be capable of more than I use it for, which is just
as a router.

For example, I can apparently connect an external hard drive to the
router by USB, said drive then being visible and usable by anyone on
our home network.Â* That we be great for sharing the countless films,
photos, mp3s etc. we have accumulated.

Q1Â* Has anyone actually done this, and does it work well?

q2Â* Recommended drive?Â* Thinking 1 or perhaps 2TB.Â* Any names to go
for, or avoid?Â* WD, Seagate, Toshiba, Verbatim etc.

Thanks!

I did this for years with a Netgear router.Â* Probably like you, it came
as a surprise after looking at the manual.Â* It was slow, but useful.

Then after an 'upgrade' to windows 10 it stopped working, never bothered
to find out why.Â* The USB drive itself was fine.

SMB protocol V1 was made a nono in windows 10

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-a...bv1-windows-10

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."