Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default O/T: internet security question (leaked details)

Pamela wrote:
On 12:25 20 Jul 2020, Chris Green said:

Pamela wrote:
On 12:00 20 Jul 2020, Smolley said:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:04:58 +0100, Pamela wrote:

On 08:21 20 Jul 2020, Brian Gaff (Sofa) said:

They are always telling us that we should use a password manager of
cours. However there is no 100 percent secure system if as has
been mentioned servers with customer data can be just sold to any
tom dick or Serge.

Judging by the OP's habit of reusing the same password, I wonder if
he also used it for his password manager allowing hackers to scoop
up any passwords which are different.

It's crazy to re-use a password for a site like Amazon where the
financial loss could become substantial.

Amazon uses my mac address as verification, when I use another
computer I have to return a phone code.

MAC address or cookie?

I use two factor authentication (using the Authy app) for Amazon, who
provides an option for a particular computer to be remembered as safe
and not require signing in subsequently.

So if someone nicks your computer they get access?!

Two factor authentication is in addition to your usual account name and
password. The idea is that some Russian hacker can't access your account
without also having physical access to the PC to generate required
passkeys.

Nowadays banks are doing this or something similar, such as sending a
text.

If someone nicks your computer with the authenticator app then you go to
another computer and access the authenticator with your special password
to remove the stolen device from authenticator account.

Yes, but the original I was replying to says:-

"...remembered as safe and not require signing in subsequently."

which says to me that access from a particular computer (or smartphone
maybe) is automatic, without any sort of authentication.

--
Chris Green
ยท