Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default O/T: internet security question (leaked details)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:15:58 +1000, "%%" wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Pamela wrote:
On 12:00 20 Jul 2020, Smolley said:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:04:58 +0100, Pamela wrote:

On 08:21 20 Jul 2020, Brian Gaff (Sofa) said:

They are always telling us that we should use a password manager of
cours. However there is no 100 percent secure system if as has been
mentioned servers with customer data can be just sold to any tom dick
or Serge.

Judging by the OP's habit of reusing the same password, I wonder if he
also used it for his password manager allowing hackers to scoop up any
passwords which are different.

It's crazy to re-use a password for a site like Amazon where the
financial loss could become substantial.

Amazon uses my mac address as verification, when I use another computer
have to return a phone code.

MAC address or cookie?

I use two factor authentication (using the Authy app) for Amazon, who
provides an option for a particular computer to be remembered as safe and
not
require signing in subsequently.

So if someone nicks your computer they get access?!

That’s why I do that stuff on the iphone with fingerprint or
facial recognition, nicking it doesn’t allow anyone to use it.

I worry that if I were mugged in the street it would be very easy for
the mugger to access the phone simply by pressing my finger against
the screen. Is that how it works?