Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Connecting USB external hard drive to router

Graeme wrote:
My router, supplied by Zen, is a Fritzbox 7530 and, looking at the
manual, appears to be capable of more than I use it for, which is just
as a router.

For example, I can apparently connect an external hard drive to the
router by USB, said drive then being visible and usable by anyone on our
home network. That we be great for sharing the countless films, photos,
mp3s etc. we have accumulated.

Q1 Has anyone actually done this, and does it work well?

q2 Recommended drive? Thinking 1 or perhaps 2TB. Any names to go for,
or avoid? WD, Seagate, Toshiba, Verbatim etc.

Thanks!

Ive run a media server for several years. The form has varied. A Linux
based Plex server running on an old PC. A supplied server running on a WD
NAS. Currently, a Synology NAS based solution- which is almost certainly
the best. I can watch videos on Smart TVs or TVs with Firesticks or Set
top boxes around the house. More importantly, well more used, listen to
music / plays etc on stored on the server via various devices. (I run a
similar server in our Motorhome, also Synology based- I pop it in before
each trip. Ideal for a wet UK summer evening ;-)

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking