Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default O/T: internet security question (leaked details)

On 20/07/2020 10:28, Scott wrote:
On 20 Jul 2020 09:04:01 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 20 Jul 2020 at 09:51:07 BST, Scott wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 00:59:43 -0400, Paul
wrote:

I generate long, random, password sequences for each
Internet account created. They're a pain to type in, but I
keep a stack of pieces of paper with the new ones
printed on it.

Why would you need pieces of paper? Can you not use a program that
saves passwords in an encrypted form. What happens if someone breaks
into your house and steals the pieces of paper?

Drat yes, I hope the scrote doesn't notice the book on the bookshelf with the
word "Passwords" embossed on the spine in gold. I expect such a scrote would
have a little "Lone Ranger" mask, wear a black-and white striped jersey, and
carry a bag marked "Swag" over his shoulder.

Thanks for our insightful advice. I'll stop locking my front door -
obviously unnecessary as crime is fake news.

I think you may have missed the point Tim was making. i.e. Just because
you have a file of passwords recorded, it does not have to be obvious or
even intelligible to to someone else if the details are obfuscated, or
simply hidden in lots of other data.

--
Cheers,

John.