Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Strobe light defective on an alarm system's External bell box.....

No Name wrote:
Is it possible to repair these flashing strobes on a Honeywell Reson8 or
must I replace the whole bell box?

From what I can see the strobe tube is soldered direct to the PCB.

So I am not sure if its the driver circuit or the actual strobe tube
that has failed.....

S.

Since the flash tube is known to wear out, it
would be your first suspect.

Driving circuits can fail too. They're not immune.
But there isn't a precisely known failure mechanism
for those, so if they fail "it's just mother nature
at work".

If you look at the circuit diagram for driving a
flash tube here, there's really no place for
amateurs to play. You need a lab with a
100:1 or 1000:1 probe, to be probing any parts
of that circuit known to have high-voltage pulses
on them. The output of the pulse transformer, would
be difficult to see otherwise (no, you don't test
it by sticking your finger on it). The probe expects
to be loaded down by a certain resistance, to complete the
measurement circuit and provide the exact divider
ratio listed on the tin. Maybe it works into 10 megohms.

http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/index.htm

The probes have a canonical form. The red color plus
the "insulating rings" hood ornament design, tell you to
walk the other way, away from the guys lab bench. If
you see someone working with one of these, note where
his bench gets power, because when he needs to be
resuscitated, you're going to need to make his
bench "safe" by turning off the power :-)

https://i.stack.imgur.com/mvq1h.jpg

A dumb ass in uni, damaged a Fluke meter by attempting
to probe a circuit like yours directly. It involved a Xenon flash
tube in an elliptical cavity. My hint not to do that, just
wasn't effective enough :-/ He put the meter across 2kV.
I don't even know if the insulation resistance on common
meter lead sets, is 2kV-proof. That's what the ends of
the flash tube were charged to. (This was part of a pulse laser.)

Your gut should tell you that the pulse transformer
is the second most likely thing to fail in the
circuit. If the secondary develops a short, there
will be no signal to excite the Xenon tube and make
it conduct.

Even dust and dirt, or a carbon mark on a high voltage
insulation, could drain enough energy from the trigger
wire, to prevent triggering.

Paul