Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian[_9_] Adrian[_9_] is offline

Default O/T: internet security question (leaked details)

In message ,
writes
Clearly, my old, well used email address and password combo has somehow
leaked out into the ether. The question is: how? I can't help but
notice the coincidence of my recent order with the vitamin company and
hot on the heels of that, rogue logins to various services. Does anyone
have a view on the most likely explanation? Could it be a weakness in
the vitamin company's systems/web page, dishonesty of an employee at
the company, or is it more likely to be something at my end (e.g.
keystroke logging malware)? I run Macaffee on my laptop and use Google
Chrome browser with Win 7.

I've have my own domain, so (like many others), almost every company I
deal with gets its own email address (generally company@mydomain). From
that I can track where spam(*) comes from. In many cases it is sent to
the address that I've given to various small businesses, rarely the
large ones, leading me to the conclusion (possibly wrongly) that some
small businesses (or more likely their outsourced systems) have had some
poor IT security. In only one case has a business been in touch to
admit that they've been compromised, and that was by an activist group
whose name I forget.

(*) spam also cover phishing attempts, and those odd emails from the
person telling me that they've hacked my (non-existent) webcam.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see: