Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Is an electric blanket an inductive load?

Chris Holford wrote:
In article , Mike McLeod
writes
I only ask because I'm making up a controller for one. I don't find
the 3 heat settings provide enough choice so I'll be controlling a
small triac via a PWM chip. Although the max current draw of this
appliance is only 350mA, the triac (a Z0607) is pretty puny and I
don't want it operating at too close to its max ratings obviously. I'm
using a snubber to be on the safe side WRT to back EMF anyway.

Here's the datasheet for the triac:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/z00607.pdf

Will that do it or is something more meaty required?

Although the inductance is probably not enough to worry about, the cold
resistance of the element will be less than the resistance at operating
temperature.

Not by much, it's nothing like an incadescent lamp. Normal resistance
wire will only change by a percent or so even when it's very hot
indeed.

--
Chris Green
ยท