Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Is an electric blanket an inductive load?

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 18:47:51 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote on 19/07/2020 :
I was thinking, how are the three adjustments done? Could they merely be
using a triac already in the control box. If so that might be affected by
your other triac.

They usually use a simple parallel series arrangement. I have one which
works like that, but includes a timeout system.

Indeed. By using 3 different elements within the one blanket, they
have eliminated the necessity for any form of temperature control at
all. It's all done by just a simple switch; nice 'n' cheap!

Before disposing of an old electric blanket, I looked inside the
controller. As you say, it was a simple switch to select the €˜elements.
It didnt have any obvious overheat detection in the controller. There
could have been a simple thermal switch €˜buried in the blanket.

Weve had several over the years, all the same brand from memory. Weve
varied between single temp/setting ones and variable ones - the latter have
always ( from memory) had cables between the blanket and controller
suggesting multiple elements.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking