Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Is an electric blanket an inductive load?

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
I assume the blanket is directly mains powered. I've never really liked
mains wires near my body, even if they are switched off. I remember many
moons back somebody came up with one that operated at about 30 volts via
a psu. Never did know if they caught on though.

There are some heated jackets and pants done like that now.

Used by motorbike riders and other outdoor workers.

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 19/07/2020 15:31, Mike McLeod wrote:
I only ask because I'm making up a controller for one. I don't find
the 3 heat settings provide enough choice so I'll be controlling a
small triac via a PWM chip. Although the max current draw of this
appliance is only 350mA, the triac (a Z0607) is pretty puny and I
don't want it operating at too close to its max ratings obviously. I'm
using a snubber to be on the safe side WRT to back EMF anyway.

Here's the datasheet for the triac:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/z00607.pdf

Will that do it or is something more meaty required?

I'd say it was mostly resistive....
sure it's 'sort of' a coil - but a big flat one!

Yes, that's my feeling too, the inductance will be tiny and
effectively non-existent at 50Hz.

--
Chris Green
·