Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is an electric blanket an inductive load?

I was thinking, how are the three adjustments done? Could they merely be
using a triac already in the control box. If so that might be affected by
your other triac.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 19/07/2020 15:31, Mike McLeod wrote:
I only ask because I'm making up a controller for one. I don't find
the 3 heat settings provide enough choice so I'll be controlling a
small triac via a PWM chip. Although the max current draw of this
appliance is only 350mA, the triac (a Z0607) is pretty puny and I
don't want it operating at too close to its max ratings obviously. I'm
using a snubber to be on the safe side WRT to back EMF anyway.

Here's the datasheet for the triac:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/z00607.pdf

Will that do it or is something more meaty required?

you should be ok. no way is a heating element any more than very very
slightly inductive

--
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong."

? Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV