Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Is an electric blanket an inductive load?

On 19/07/2020 15:31:19, Mike McLeod wrote:
I only ask because I'm making up a controller for one. I don't find
the 3 heat settings provide enough choice so I'll be controlling a
small triac via a PWM chip. Although the max current draw of this
appliance is only 350mA, the triac (a Z0607) is pretty puny and I
don't want it operating at too close to its max ratings obviously. I'm
using a snubber to be on the safe side WRT to back EMF anyway.

Here's the datasheet for the triac:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/z00607.pdf

Will that do it or is something more meaty required?

Why not use a standard cheap dimmer switch? It'll have a convenient
faceplate that will fit standard boxes. Perhaps a couple of cable glands
to clamp the in and outgoing cables.

It will have the necessary DIAC and a potentiometer with the correctly
rated voltage.

The blanket will have negligible inductance. I might still use a snubber
across the TRIAC if only for mains born spikes.