Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attach outlet extender

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 18:29:02 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 07/18/2020 03:13 PM, wrote:
OSHA is a funny beast in the boonies like we live in. If there is an
accident in town the flying squad comes in. That job gets picked
apart. Then they go around town writing tickets for a week and they
are gone.

In the early days of OSHA we got quite a bit of work fitting safety
guards on molding presses. Some of them created more pinch points that
the press itself but OSHA way happy.

My favorite was a safety bar that swung in between the press platens to
prevent the ram from closing. In a down acting press the ram usually
free falls, pulling fluid in through a big check valve. When the press
is closed, the valve closes and the cylinder builds pressure. Something
went wrong and the pilot operated check was closed as the press
descended. It spit out the pretzel shaped safety bar like a watermelon seed.

We got written up for an ungrounded water cooler. The cooler feed was
sweated copper all the way back and about the only thing in the shop
that had a solid ground. As long as all the green wires were connected
the OSHA guy didn't care if they were floating.

Back in the 70s I was in a government office that had a paper shear
they were using that probably would cut a phone book in half. The new
safety switches were on both side rails, about 35-40 inches apart so
the operator could not hit the shear while his hand was in it. The
first time I saw the safety guy demonstrate it, he cut off the end of
his tie. They had that hanging on the wall for years after that.