Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Printer roller rejuvenator recommendation?

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 9:12:35 AM UTC-7, Brian Moore wrote:
FWIW..... I needed to refurbish the printer rollers on a Dell P1500 this weekend. I read everything I could find about what products to use or not use. I have a chemistry background so that helped. At any rate, I settled on the following simple cocktail for restoring the rollers.... It worked fantastic:

1 teaspoon DOT brake fluid
1 teaspoon naphtha (old fashioned lighter fluid)
1cc acetone

Largely, that replicates an old typewriter-platen-restore formula, adding acetone.
The naphtha was solvent for typewriter ribbon ink (and early dot-matrix printers)
and the DOT brake fluid was a bit of plasticizer and glycerine. I'm thinking
a lighter plasticizer might work as well (Armor-All vinyl finish?).

Most modern printer roller technologies are compatible with isopropanol, so
the acetone might be slightly more aggressive than required. Rollers that take a glaze
from paper, and a bit of dirt, take well to a scrub with green Scotchbrite with soap or
alcohol. Even typewriter ink was removed (slowly) with isopropyl.

A good roller cleaning should hold you for a few years. Congratulations on the
careful formulation; you didn't wast time OR material!