Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Printer roller rejuvenator recommendation?

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 12:12:35 PM UTC-4, Brian Moore wrote:
FWIW..... I needed to refurbish the printer rollers on a Dell P1500 this weekend. I read everything I could find about what products to use or not use. I have a chemistry background so that helped. At any rate, I settled on the following simple cocktail for restoring the rollers.... It worked fantastic:

1 teaspoon DOT brake fluid
1 teaspoon naphtha (old fashioned lighter fluid)
1cc acetone

First I scrubbed the rollers lightly with soapy water and a lint-free towel.
I mixed the above in a Dixie cup. Then I rubbed this cocktail on each roller with a Q-tip, and wiped it off with the lint-free towel within 30 seconds. Then I repeated the application, wiped clean again. I was amazed. The printer works again, it was throwing the "jam" sensor every time, because the paper wasn't advancing.

I've used similar concoctions but they are all temporary. The rollers get hard and slick because the rubber is deteriorating with exposure to air (and sometimes light).

Back when phono idlers became tougher to get, I used to machine down the outer hardened layer of rubber with a cutting stone. This exposed "better" material to the friction surfaces but it was still not the perfect solution - although it lasted much longer than any liquid did.

Hopefully, your solution will outlast the printer.