Jake

Default Use pigtails on receptacle

"bill allemann" wrote in message
. ..
It is OK to use 14ga at the end of 20A run, like in this example.
Also, using separate posts on a strap to create a circuit passthrough is
prohibited in most codes. The "pigtail" as described by the original
poster is the correct method.

Bill

It is NOT OK to use down-sized conductors ANYWHERE in a residential branch
circuit without a overcurrent device suitable to protect the smaller wire.

It IS OK to use a strap on the receptacle, PROVIDED that device has the same
rating or higher than the overcurrent device.

I think, from memory (so don't ding me if it isn't exact) the relevant NEC
articles are 210-21 (Outlet Devices) and 210-19 (Branch Circuit Conductors).

Having said those two things, here's what I recommend:

If you want to use pigtails, that's OK so long as you've got permissible
room in the box and you use the same size wire. I would buy the commercial
grade 20 amp recepts. and use the screw-down clamps that a previous poster
suggested.

In commercial buildings, and retrofits it is common to use pigtails so that
we can replace outlets hot without disrupting the neutral, and to sometimes
meet NEC requirements for conductor lengths inside the box... but these
systems have conduit and stranded wire instead of the stuff you're working
with here.

Jake