Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default electric garage shutter gubbed

On 17/07/2020 07:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 22:46, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 19:36, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 19:29, Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
OK who was the smart arse who said electric garage shutters were
great...after about a year mine has broken down....went up about two
feet then reversed and shut.....tried it again went up about two
inches
then went back down...is this a common fault ?

Have you checked the tracks are clean ? A spray with some lubricant
may not
be a bad idea. I assume it wasnt used much during the lockdown, it
may
well have gummed up. A bit of lube and a few manual open / close
cycles may
help.

no I took the mustang up and down the car park out front every other
day'''''

(I assume you have a handle to wind it open by hand.)

it's on the outside....

just went out and sprayed the tracks with wd40 and it opened so I
took the car out put the door back down thinking I could cancel the
man...came back wouldn't go up on the remote......went inside gave
the door a rattle and pushed the button on the unit it went up
...seems to be some kind of intermitant so not cancelling the
man...and it's not a faulty rmote either...

I'll go and do a video right now.....probably work ok if I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbePThXXPyA

You would have to compare the noise level, to what
it sounded like when it was new.

the same

I thought I could
hear something there that sounds loose, around the
part that does the winding. But maybe it was always
like that.

As for the choice of track lubricant, I'd see if I
could find the manufacturer manuals and docs, for
suggestions.

The track itself probably needs to be "cleaned"
rather than "lubricated". There could be sand in the
track for example.

The little wheels it glides on, could be grease-packed.
Spraying WD40 on those little wheels, the WD40 is a
"lube robber" and it can help remove manufacturer
grease from where it's needed. That's why I don't
spray WD40 around like a room freshener here.

I use wd40 as aftershaveÂ* I use so much of it ....

Do you use it to cure arthritis ?. Apparently some
folks do :-)

It
can do more damage than good, depending on what
you point it at.

Â*Â*Â* Paul

I know but sometimes it is better than nothing...