LBaker

Default Cutting hole in INCREDIBLY HARD ceramic tile

"GeekBoy" wrote in message
om...
Okay, I've built several bathrooms already... I've used the cheap,
thin Home Dumpo tiles and easily cut through them with my Dremel-style
carbide bit attachment. It makes a nice hole for water pipes, etc.
Now, I have the hardest ceramic tile I've ever seen in my life. This
3/8"+ thick ceramic tile is virtually impervious to all known mortal
methods of drill bits! I can cut it with my wet saw, but no form of
bit makes even the SLIGHTEST mark in it!
You know what I have to accomplish -- I need to make a hole (2" or so)
to fit the drain piping through it... tub downspout, shower body, etc.
Unfortunately, these are 12x12 tiles where the holes are in the
center of the tile... I cannot cut two half-moon holes in two tiles
with the wet saw.
So, how to accomplish this task? ALL my carbide bits were smoked in
very short order with NO progress AT ALL. None. It smoked every bit
and you can't even notice a notch in the tile. I've purchased diamond
tipped core drill bits, but even if that works, how do I continue
making the 2" circle? I fear that a cermic bladed jigsaw will die as
well!
Can anyone recommend a bit/blade/whatever tool for cutting the
toughest ceramic tile ever known to mankind? Surely, this is done
everday by master tile workers, right?? This isn't miracle tile, by
the way... it's just good, thick, heavy ceramic tile purchased at our
local tile showroom store for floors and walls.
Thanks!

I use a 4" angle grinder with a dry cut diamond blade. Cut through the back
of the tile and you'll be in business.