PrecisionMachinisT

Default Use pigtails on receptacle

"bill allemann" wrote in message
. ..
"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"indago" wrote in message
040613 0947 - Yi Jin posted:

I am wiring a 20amp circuit. The #12 seems pretty hard to
deal inside the electral box for the with the receptacle.

I notice all the books demonstrates that incoming wires
and outgoing ones connect to the seperate screws on the
receptacle. Is there any reason not to use a pigtail
and connect to the receptacle first, then connect it
together in/out wires with a wire nut, just like what
is done to a ground wires? That would be much easier
than to bend those short and hard #12 wires and try to
screw on those 4 hot/neutral wires?

I am talking about the middle of the run, non-split
receptacle.

Thanks.

Y.

It would be beneficial to wire nut the circuit wires together with a

pigtail
of 14 guage wire to the outlet.

14 ga is insufficient for use on a 20A feeder, use 12 ga instead.

It is OK to use 14ga at the end of 20A run, like in this example.
Also, using separate posts on a strap to create a circuit passthrough is
prohibited in most codes. The "pigtail" as described by the original
poster is the correct method.

You would need to show me the pertinent code in order to convince me of
this, and still it would be unlikely I would do it myself anyways.

Fairly recent, but at least in our area, outlets must be of the heavy duty
( 20amp ) if a 20 A breaker is used to feed the line--the more common
outlets are only rated for 15 amps--and they no longer even accept #12 wire
into the pushlock terminals.

--

SVL