Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_29_] Frank[_29_] is offline

Default No mold PVC

On 7/15/2020 7:03 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 10:02:08 -0400, Frank wrote:

On 7/15/2020 9:49 AM, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 8:36:14 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 7/15/2020 8:21 AM, philo wrote:
On 7/15/20 6:41 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/14/2020 10:40 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 19:58:41 -0400, Frank wrote:

On 7/14/2020 4:28 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 10:54:28 -0500, philo posted for all of us
to digest...

On 7/14/20 9:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/14/2020 9:25 AM, philo wrote:
Using some clear flexibleÂ* 1/4" ID PVC tubing for a warm water
jet and
after two months, the inside is getting moldy.

Seems insane. Is there some non-mold flex tubing available anywhere
such as Home Depot?

Run cleaner water or sanitize the tubing periodically.Â* Tubing is
just
providing a place for mold to grow.Â* The spores are in the water.

I think gfretwell has the answer

Maybe you need food grade tubing? Just a WAG.

Would not mean it is mold proof.Â* I see mention of silicone and vinyl
tubing in food grades that still get mold.

If this is algae, it is growing in the water, the tube is just where
you see it. Use opaque tube like PEX and the problem will go away.

Yes and I see they sell black PVC tubing but if you ignore it it may
build up to a blockage.Â* I had this happen on the small PVC drain
piping on my central AC last year.

The only problem with black PVC would be that if algae did grow, I would
not see it.

So I am going back to my original tubing.

It is translucent but not clear, It seems to block enough light as to
prevent growth of algae but if any did grow, it's just clear enough that
that I could see it

I wish I could have seen what was happening in my PVC pipe in the
basement. There is no light in the furnace room to prompt growth and I
go in and check things every couple of days and found water on the floor
instead of in the French drain. The pipe was too clogged to wash out
with bleach and too many bends for a small snake so I had to cut it and
take it apart to clean it.

We still have fan coils lots of places where I work and they do that too. They blow out okay though.

I had tried that but PVC drain was for AC condensate over furnace and
humidifier over flow for furnace and had too many open points.

House is now 45 years old and this is the first time that it happened so
I doubt if I will see it happen again.

About 18 years after I had a new furnace/AC put in the condensate line to the sump
clogged. It's 3/4" PVC, about 15' total with 4 90's. I had some 1/2" clear fish tank
hose long enough to reach the sump, so I cut the vertical PVC on the furnace and stuck the
hose in, taping it up with duck tape. It's been working for 5 years now.
I assumed it was scale build up clogging it, but when I remove the old PVC I'll cut it up
and find out, and let you know. Now I have an excuse to do it.

Nice thing is that PVC was easy to repair with just a couple of bucks
for glue and sleeve. The AC condensate goes in first and down the line
the humidifier overflow goes in. The clog was past the humidifier and
overflow was there.