Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On 7/15/2020 9:05 AM, bud-- wrote:
On 7/12/2020 3:12 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/12/2020 4:06 PM, bud-- wrote:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotchkote-Electrical-Coating-Fd-15-oz-Can/?N=5002385+3294648449&rt=rud

Scotchkote liquid coating. Says for coating 3M vinyl tape for direct
burial. I would like to get some on the nick under the tape first.
Should be better than what you used.
If this was to be inspected I would like to see better instructions.

I have used both of them.
Both have a mystical ability to get on everything, including
screwdrivers in your basement.

Thanks...the 3M product particularly would be handy.Â* My looking and
found it...

What kind of shelf life does it have, you have any idea?

3M would likely tell you more than you want to know.

Yeah, but what's the fun in that...

The splice kits have 2 part epoxy in separate partitions in a plastic
bag. Should have a good shelf life. There are different configurations.
I think one of them is a tap.

Scotchkote is in a can kinda like PVC pipe cement.Â* When I used it long
ago the cap had a wire with a dauber on the end, like pipe cement.Â* The
goo is likely to get on the can opening and threads making it hard to
reseal and also gluing the lid to the can.Â* Goo could be removed with a
solvent.Â* I would guess it has a shelf life similar to PVC cement -
pretty good until opened.

Thanks...was just wondering about whether might be one of those staples
to have on the shelf or if would always be (like the PVC cement) dried
up when did need it so have to go to town, anyway.

That's kinda' the answer figured 3M would tell me...