Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 8 guns/ 4 guns Spitfire - don't get it

On 14/07/2020 12:12, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 01:36:13 -0700 (PDT), Halmyre
wrote:

snip

Was it also fact that the plane was actually slowed ('measurably', I
know 'Every action has an equal and opposite reaction' so even a
single bullet fired forward would have an effect to a tiny degree))
when the gun was fired?

p.s. We used to watch the A10's and others doing touch-n-goes at RAF
Lakenheath. ;-)

Sort of true (from Wiki):

"The average recoil force of the GAU-8/A is 10,000 pounds-force (45 kN), which is slightly more than the output of each of the A-10's two TF34 engines of 9,065 lbf (40.3 kN). While this recoil force is significant, in practice a cannon fire burst slows the aircraft only a few miles per hour in level flight."

Thanks, so it *does* slow, just not by any significant amount.

Another 'crazy machine' in a similar vein is the AC-130.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/video...iring-all-i_1/

I guess that one moves sideways a bit when it fires the Bofors cannon!

Not so much the Bofors - but it does shift sideways and up in the air
when you fire the 105mm Howitser!

--
Cheers,

John.