Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Deadbolt sticks

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 19:39:09 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 9:26:52 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 7/13/2020 6:46 PM, AK wrote:
The deadbolt sticks when I lock it.

When I take this piece out, there is no sticking.

I tried using a rash to file off some of the opening, but no luck.

https://imgur.com/a/embd2FE

Thanks,
Andy

Does it stick with the door open? If so, try loosening the screws
through the door and moving the outside part relative to the inside and
see if movement makes it work more easily. Then tighten the screws and
hope that it remains OK.

If it is loose with the door open, lift up or bush down on the door as
you turns the lock to see which way you need to adjust the door or lock
plate to solve the problem.

With the lock plate out, it neither sticks with the door open or closed.

That's why it must be the lock plate.

I do not have a Dremel.

Andy

99.999% chance the dooe or door feame has sagged. Replace the striker
plate. tape a piece of paper over it. Grease the end of the deadbolt.
Turn the deadbolt 'tilkl it contacts the paper. Retract the deadbolt
and see how the grease mark aligns with the hole in the striker plate.
Adjust the door hinges to match (usually by shimming with paper or
boxboard behinf the hinge - assuming it's not just a loose hinge.)