Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 00:01:16 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 posted for
all of us to digest...

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 11:44:40 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Dunno. Never saw the primary fuse open tho, maybe there isn't one. I
know there is a recloser on the primary somewhere that can open and
automatically reset but you usually only see that with a fault on the
primary, like a pole down.
I have seen plenty of transformers blow without taking out the
primary.
That is really not my area of expertise but next time I see my FPL guy
I will ask him.

If there is a fuse, it needs to be at the top where that disconnect
ring is.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/transformer.jpg

The disconnect can either be just a disconnect or it can contain a fuse
that when blown will let the disconnect fall down so it can be seen from
the ground. I thought I remember seeing one of those that had fallen
down when a fuse blew, but it had been around 15 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_cutout

That's a good find. I've seen the disconnects on poles, never
knew about how the fuses worked, that they drop down to indicate
they are blown.

Not necessarily, they can weld themselves into the holder if
the clamps at the top loosen. They can become so hard to remove
the PoCo has to shut the primary down to fix it. Around here
where we have many trees in wires and the utility was less than
diligent in pruning as a firefighter I witnessed a few
spectacular shows.

--
Tekkie