Victor Roberts

Default Fluorescent lighting?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:23:58 GMT, (JM)
wrote:

quoting:
$2-$3 to buy a fluorescent bulb and another dollar to get rid of it is
not so bad after all...

- Don Klipstein )

Or, buy reduced mecury lamps. They are free to thow away. I see a problem
with reduced mercury lamps, though. Regular lamps have to be recycled. That
means no mercury is released, right? Now throw away a bunch of reduced
mercury lamps, that means mercury is released, right?

For example let's say it's time for the local Walmart (or whatever) to
relamp their dead ones. Cirtainly they're not going to buy reqular lamps
because they cost too much to dispose of. They are going to buy reduced
mercury lamps so they can throw them away for free. That's what I see in
many newer installations. "Green" lamps, reduced mercury.

This is coupled with the fact that typical installations have a ever
increasing total number of lamps than yesteryear. I don't think reduced
mercury lamps and free disposal are the answer. It doesn't appear to me that
the release of mercury is being reduced. So each lamp has less mercury, but
throw away twice as many... doesn't make sense.

The amount of mercury in "low mercury" lamps has been reduced by a
factor of 10 or more, depending upon the manufacturer, so the amount
of mercury from fluorescent lamps going into land fills has indeed
gone down. Also, remember that states are allowed to set their own
mercury disposal requirements, as long as they are at least as strict
as the Federal requirements. Some states require that all fluorescent
lamps be recycled. I suspect that more will follow, or the Federal
limit for disposal of mercury-contaminated objects as non-hazardous
waste will be lowered lamp technology improves.

--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com