Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 17:35:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/13/2020 4:13 PM, wrote:

Dunno. Never saw the primary fuse open tho, maybe there isn't one. I
know there is a recloser on the primary somewhere that can open and
automatically reset but you usually only see that with a fault on the
primary, like a pole down.

Ice and wind caused lines to touch a couple winters ago -- recloser
tried however many times and gave up.

I made the presumption didn't need call CMS 'cuz neighbors also were out
(of course) and the one to the south of us is on board so he always reports.

What I didn't know at the time is that we are the only one one the third
phase and it reopened after they reset manually. I didn't realize until
dark that everybody else did have power; we were the only ones that didn't.

By that time it was another two days before they could dispatch a crew
back this way the 50 miles for one lone farmstead given the widespread
ice damage they had farther east.

These days, with the smart meters, we don't even need to call. The
system knows which meters have stopped calling home.