Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On 7/13/2020 4:13 PM, wrote:

Dunno. Never saw the primary fuse open tho, maybe there isn't one. I
know there is a recloser on the primary somewhere that can open and
automatically reset but you usually only see that with a fault on the
primary, like a pole down.

Ice and wind caused lines to touch a couple winters ago -- recloser
tried however many times and gave up.

I made the presumption didn't need call CMS 'cuz neighbors also were out
(of course) and the one to the south of us is on board so he always reports.

What I didn't know at the time is that we are the only one one the third
phase and it reopened after they reset manually. I didn't realize until
dark that everybody else did have power; we were the only ones that didn't.

By that time it was another two days before they could dispatch a crew
back this way the 50 miles for one lone farmstead given the widespread
ice damage they had farther east.