Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On 7/13/2020 2:41 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 12:54:24 -0500, dpb wrote:

Places aren't that close together out here that one transformer does
multiple farmsteads and power demands are fairly substantial in
comparison to normal residence.

Here they will put one house on a 25KVA, 2 will be on a 37 and 3 will
be on a 50. There are a couple of 50s here with 4 houses on them but I
bet that will change if they tear down those little 1300 sq/ft PreFIRM
shacks and put a 2000 Sq/Ft house there. A lot of this infrastructure
is 60 years old and predates wide spread use of A/C and other heavy
hitters.

This is the map of my primary. I am about 1/3d of the way down from
the tap off the distribution trunk.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Xfmr.jpg

I don't know what this transformer is -- it was swapped out a few years
ago but was simply moved from somewhere else and on hand when the other
died. I'd guess it also is about that old.

That map would look more like

--------X ----- 3.5 mi -----X ----- 0.5 mi -----X ----- 1.5 mi -----X

And this is a pretty densely part of the county right around us. A
couple miles further you get into "the breaks" along the river bed and
range country that has only on ranch house for about 20 miles.

Which, of course, doesn't come close to approximating what it's like for
areas 150 mi west in SE CO or NE NM. The ground in NM is in Harding
County where the county seat is a village of 100 and there are ~40X the
number of cattle in the county as people. If you wanted to see if you
were cut out to be a hermit, there would be a good place to take a trial
run.