Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 8 guns/ 4 guns Spitfire - don't get it

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:44:55 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 13/07/2020 00:27, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 00:07:28 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Agree if all you have is 8 machine guns, 50 yards is good

300mph = 440 feet per second. 50 yds would be covered in approx 1/3
second. You'd hit the wreckage

Only if it disregards the laws of physics and stops dead!

Lot's of it effectively will though won't it? Ok, not the heavy
compact stuff like an engine but large areas of fuselage and wing will
as good as if presented side on to the wind?

You are shooting holes in it, not blowing it up as a general rule though..

Ok..

(and that assumes that you are directly behind it rather than slightly
above or below, or off axis etc)

Sure. However, the nearer you are the more 'directly behind' it you
would have to be to keep it in your sights. If you are strafing it
(from any direction) you have to hope you hit something important as
you pass (not wait till you know you have hit it).

Well, if any of my fighter pilot sims have taught me anything. ;-)

And if something blows up in the air in front of you, some of it could
end up stationary if it's blown backwards at 300 mph?

Yup if it goes bang in close proximity, then that may well cause you
grief (after all that is the modus operandi of most anti aircraft shells!)

Quite. ;-(

Don't they have some that are 'hoops' that when they blow the expand
out radially in many pieces?

Cheers, T i m