Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:57:50 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 7/12/2020 10:34 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 21:46:20 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/12/2020 6:21 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 16:02:57 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/12/2020 1:11 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 11:21:23 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/11/2020 10:12 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 12:54:13 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/10/2020 11:01 PM,

If it is on the line side of the meter, I suppose it is between the
PoCo and the worms, although you probably do own that service lateral.
FPL wants them in conduit.

Huh. Thought that was the whole point of there being UF-rated cable.

I have no idea what our local rural electric co-op specifies now, I'm
sure it's probably much more stringent than was 40+ years ago when Dad
was redoing the house and pulled the new feed underground and removed
the overhead wire to the house...

They want conduit, just for the extra protection.

Just a note, that is not UF. It is probably USE but I don't want to be
pedantic ;-)

One thing that makes them different is you can use UF inside, USE, not
so much. It is a smoke and product of combustion thing with that
insulation but it does perform better underground than UF.
I am not sure I have ever even seen service conductors direct buried.
It always seems to be in some kind of raceway.

It's UF-B I'm virtually positive...altho I didn't climb the loft to go
look at the jacket on the leftover roll end.

I am surprised the PoCo connected to it.

340.12 Uses Not Permitted. Type UF cable shall not be used
as follows:
(1) As service-entrance cable

Huh. I thought that was what "feeder" meant.

Art 100 definition
"Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment,
the source of a separately derived system, or other power
supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device."

Basically think of it as the wires between the main panel and a sub
panel but that sub panel could be what you think of as the main if the
service disconnect is outside.

Well, there is a a disconnect at the pole that is where these run from
to the main inside the house. So what does that make it?

Is the an over current device there? If so it is a feeder but it
should be 4 wires these days. Prior to the 96 code, you could get away
with 3.

Yes, there's breaker there...forget just what it's sized at.

An important difference, like I thought a "service" is not fused.
At least not on the service size, though according to Fretwell
there is a fuse on the primary side, which makes sense. Still
since a given transformer typically serves more than one service, you
could apparently put many times the current rating of the service
conductors through it before it blows. Probably not much of an
issue, since if something happens, a direct short is probably
far more likely, which I guess would blow the xformer fuse before
damage was done to the conductors.