Bruce E. Harang II

Default Replacing attic insulation

I have a house that was built in the 1950's and looks like it has the
original fiberglass insulation in the attic. I would like to take out the
old and install new insulation but the joists are only 2x6's and the
recommended R-value for Connecticut is R-48 in the attic. I did not know if
I could toe-nail another 2x6 on top of the originals to get me up to 11" so
I can use some R-38. What other options do I have? I want to keep the
storage space up there so blown insulation is not an option. This project
was going to wait until this fall but while installing some recessed lights
in the kitchen I pulled back some of the insulation in the attic and found
quite a few termites or flying ants. Now when the exterminator gets here I
want to pull all the insulation out of the attic so I can have the problem
eradicated without question. So it looks like I need a solution to my
insulation problem now instead of this fall. I also noticed that the 3/8"
drywall in the ceiling below the attic has a 1/2" black, fiber-like material
backing it. Is this a form of insulation and if so how would I figure out
it's R-value?

Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Bruce