Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup[_9_] soup[_9_] is offline

Default 8 guns/ 4 guns Spitfire - don't get it

On 12/07/2020 20:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 12:15:54 +0100, T i m wrote:

I would imagine a fighter to fighter dogfight to be fairly chaotic, no
matter how well they might have rehearsed in the training room or
practiced in the sky.

Having had a couple of fast jets practice a dogfight over us a year
so back it's mighty impressive and very noisy.

I recall a quote that Dog-fighting in a 'Spitfire' was like having a
knife fight in a phonebox whilst modern dogfights were beyond visual
range affairs using long distance (30 miles or so) missiles .
ROE allowing non-visual ID of course. Which most don't hence
dog-fighting still being a thing but due to the speeds attained by
modern aircraft, manouveres have to be wide and sweeping (airframes can
'handle more G than pilots time to remove men(this includes Women
pilots) from the cockpit and institute more drones?)