Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On 7/10/2020 7:28 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/9/2020 7:15 PM, wrote:

The crimps you see on submersible well conductors would be fine. It is
an irreversible crimp with silicone in the shrink tube insulation. The
problem is you need the right tool to make the crimp and the one for
6ga wire is probably $100. I did see a guy who went to work on a 36"
Harbor Fright bolt cutter with a grinder to make a big crimper. It
seemed to work OK.

A related sidebar Q? --

Is there anything/any way to repair knicked insulation on an underground
feeder?Â* Or just go ahead and cut to use the splice kit?

I managed to cut insulation on one side of feed to house during the work
around the old foundation when discovered the conduit out bottom of
outside junction box wasn't nearly as deep as had presumed Dad would
have left it...and, unusual for him, there was virtually no slack in
that line to be able to really do a good job wrapping it (...both of
which make me think he must have sublet that work instead of having done
himself--just not characteristic of something he would have done on own.
Â*He worked on remodel/refurbish of grandparents house for 5-6 years and
had to take off for real job of farming for extended periods during
summers so let out some of the work).

I sorta' cobbled a tape job w/ some of the cold-vulcanizing tape
followed up w/ electrical tape and then covered that with a good coating
of one of the liquid rubber products as water seal -- then covered it
after dried w/ another tape wrap.Â* We'll see how long it holds...

Was more than unhappy when discovered what had done...

3M makes a couple products that may be useful

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Energy/Electrical-Construction-and-Maintenance/Wire-Cable/Splices/Low-Voltage-Splices-1-kV-/?N=5002385+8709319+8710679+8710904+8711017+8717973 +8730567+3294857497&rt=r3
are splice kits.
Some of them have a split plastic form that you snap over spliced UF (or
whatever). (Magic crimps not required.) There are 'funnels' that snap in
the ends of the form. It comes with a bag of epoxy - 2 part with a
partition in the middle. You pull the partition apart, mix the epoxy in
the sealed bag, and pour it in one of the 'funnels'.
IMHO the nicked wire should be separated out some so the epoxy can make
good contact with it.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotchkote-Electrical-Coating-Fd-15-oz-Can/?N=5002385+3294648449&rt=rud
Scotchkote liquid coating. Says for coating 3M vinyl tape for direct
burial. I would like to get some on the nick under the tape first.
Should be better than what you used.
If this was to be inspected I would like to see better instructions.

I have used both of them.
Both have a mystical ability to get on everything, including
screwdrivers in your basement.