news.individual.net

Default Footings, frost-heave , and related questions ???

Naw, I reckon I can build a 12 inch high, 5 inch wide little flower garder
border without getting my government involved.

And, I doubt that a retaining wall averaging 30 inches in height will
endanger my life or that of my family. Furthermore, in the event that we
should have an earthquake here, my little 24 inch sidewalk will be the least
of my worries.

I do however thank you for your concerns regarding my safety.

But, I have received many helpful replies, which have addressed my questions
of frost heave and footings.

--James--

I'm sorry, but you need to do a lot more research, and not in newsgroups,
before you try any of these projects, or hire a contractor. Your local
codes enforcement office would be a good place to start. They'll not only
tell you what is required in your area, but they'll also tell you why. Many
areas of the country now have to consider potential seismic damage as well
as frost heave when planning structures, and that can govern how the
footings are constructed for various projects. Retaining walls are NOT
something for an amateur do it yourselfer to fool around with unless they
completely understand soil drainage and proper construction techniques.
Your life may depend on whether or not things are constructed properly. No
joke.