Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
CJCastiglione CJCastiglione is offline

Default Adjusting a Lufkin 680A Inside Micrometer

replying to Randy, CJCastiglione wrote:
Hi Randy
Adjusting the extensions is accomplished by rotating the end piece in or out.
The micrometer head is more of a PITA.
Remove both of the tiny end caps and using a .0001" indicator, make both caps
identical thickness. I used some 400 grit emery cloth on a flat block. Install
the caps on the micrometer head and set it to 1.000" on the barrel. Use a set
of good mics and see which way they're off.. Now dis-assemble the head
completely except for the insert that is light press fit into the barrel. You
need to move the insert in or out to change the reading. I used a bench block
and a gage pin that fit the barrel to bump the insert. Repeat the above steps
until you get it right. It's a PITA. Once you get the head adjusted correctly
then do the extensions. Let me know how you make out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ter-29517-.htm