Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine started coughing, spluttering and backfiring, and stalling on the slightest load

"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
"NY" Wrote in message:
I have a Spear and Jackson lawnmower with a 125 cc Briggs and Stratton
engine (this one https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7597004). After a year's
perfect service, the engine has suddenly started coughing, spluttering
and
backfiring, and sometimes repeatedly stalling as soon as it tries to cut
trivial amount of grass (paradoxically, it cuts longer grass without
batting
an eyelid).

Any ideas? Is it time to "get it looked at"?

Carb service

Ah, do carbs need servicing from time to time? I don't remember my older
cars (those which had carbs) having an explicit task of servicing the
carburettor. I wasn't sure whether modern mowers still actually used a
carburettor as opposed to fuel injection.

Oh well, time to find someone who services mowers. At least I've eliminated
things that I could fix myself...