Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default The new Tool

On 7/10/2020 12:37 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 7/10/2020 12:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 7/8/2020 9:09 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 09:41:48 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/7/2020 7:51 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 14:33:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/6/2020 6:18 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 17:16:03 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Some of you may remember me asking if anyone here has gotten a Shaper
Origin yet.

I got mine about 10 days ago and have not had tome to test it out much
other than the samples in the below links.

The tool comes with a map of the United States to practice with. I
actually went over this same map with two different bits and multiple
times with each. The registration for restarting a project is spot on.
Basically if a piece needs to be modified it is a no brainer to set it
back up and make a modification, this is assuming that you need to
remove more material rather than replace material. :~)

Anyway this link takes you to my very first ever attempt at using a CNC.
Obviously I should have used a larger piece of wood so that I could
have scaled the map larger. Unfortunately some of the NE states got
wiped off the map. ;~) The blank was 12" x 7"
Also each state was individual, none shared the neighbor states geometry
and this resulted in a wider division between the states.
And FWIW this tool has scalable on-board lettering, hence the TEXAS.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

July 5 I decided to see if I could duplicate the logo on my business
card less the phone number and specialties. I would like to add this
engraving to each of my pieces from this point on, or if a customer
wants to bring me a door or drawer to add this to. It is approximately
2.5" x 1.5"
This was done all with a v-groove bit and I am pleased with a first time
attempt of converting a drawing of a bridge and importing lettering with
a different font. Maybe a 1/16" straight cut bit will yield a simpler
appearance.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Nice! Now, what'cha going to do with it?

A number of things, I hope. Specifically I want to personalize my work,
use it for yet another way to create box joints and dove tail joints. I
think doing box joints and DT joints should be significantly easier not
using a jig to guide the router.

Seems like overkill. Why doesn't a DT jig work? I don't see that
it'll solve the real problems (getting the depth right).

Also, mortise and tennon joints should
be much easier. Of course not as easy as with the Domino but much
easier than other methods.

I was going to say... What happened to your Domino? ;-) WHy use
something that's harder?

Signs. A lot of my jobs involve long arcs.
I normally print these out on several sheets of paper, tape them
together, and glue to the board. Then bandsaw cut and sand. Now I can
just CNC the shape directly on the board.
AND drill any size hole exactly the size I need.

Ellipse router jig?

I am also waiting for the Shaper Workstation to arrive, late Summer.
It will hold wood similar to a DT or box joint jig but also at angles
and no template.

https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/workstation/overview/

Definitely cool. What's the workstation worth?

Worth or cost? LOL

Shockingly inexpensive compared to something like a Leigh DR4 DT jig,
and or the Shaper Origin itself. I think my price for the fathers day
deal with the Shaper Origin, $400.
The Shaper Origin was $2499 IIRC and it has a quad core computer in it.

That "quad core" computer (System-On-Chip) costs less than a buck.

Maybe, but what size computer does your router have? ;~)

Approximately 79 cubic inches :-).

And 6 HP? LOL