BillR

Default Can a combi safely be used for DHW with the heating drained?

RichardS wrote:
"BillR" wrote in message
RichardS wrote:
This could be a really stupid, obvious question, but.....

I have currently got the heating drained down to remove a couple of
rads.

Can the combi still be used (safely) for hot water?

Or does draining the heating drain the primary circuit which heats
the hot water?

It most likely will not even run in this mode... so it will be safe
:-)

Hmmm. it fired up when the missus marched in and promptly turned the
kitchen hot tap on 30 seconds after being told that the heating was
drained down and that we shouldn't use the hot water until I got a
definitive answer or finished the job....

The two combis that I've fitted specifically said in the instructions that
they would not run if there was no pressure in the CH circuit...
To test a combi boiler without rad a loop of a few metres of pipe is often
used.